As per my 2013 New Year’s resolutions I’ve started designing some knitwear. I’m starting with two projects, one, a top-down raglan color block tunic and the other, a bulky cabled “car coat” with a hood.

I’ve sort of cobbled together a drawing technique (since I’m a terrible free-hand artist) which involves a free croquis template and a drawing app on my iPad. Here’s my first stab at it:

photo(5)

It’s actually pretty cool — you can do the front and back together or separately depending on the design (this one I did together) and then layer on the design details and text.  It’s a nice piece of technology that helps me get my ideas down and doesn’t look like I’ve drawn colored tree trunks.

The colors are based on a commercial cotton sweater dress that I own but my version is a “winterized” tunic with a turtleneck, long sleeves, an a-line shape, and some negative ease. I’m using Madelinetosh Vintage for the sample. I like the idea of seeing this with all different color combos.

DSC_0005

Stockinette and ribbing swatches

 

I also swatched a cable pattern from my Cables & Arans” book that I like for the car coat. It’s a really simple pattern that I think will work out nicely in the bulky wool. It’s the kind of cable pattern that can be easily memorized and done without a cable needle. A big seller for me. I started working on that sketch today but it’s taking a little longer than the one above.

Swatch knit on Plucky Bulky in Papyrus

Swatch knit on Plucky Bulky in Papyrus

Now to conquer those pattern grading templates from my class at VKL. I’m hoping this will get easier because right now it just hurts my brain.